Academics talk a lot. Sometimes we have slides, or even videos. Here are some of mine.
I am available to give my current research talk at academic seminars and similar events.
- Invite me!
- Recommendations, Decisions, Feedback Loops, and Maybe Saving the Planet, at the CCC Visioning Workshop on Economics and Fairness.
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Dec. 7 at the Clemson School of Computing Seminar Series
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Nov. 9 at the CMU HCII seminar series
- User, Agent, Subject Spy Nov. 1 for Boise State AI Club.
- Exploring Author Gender in Book Rating and Recommendation at RecSys 2018.
- Making Information Systems Good for People at Boise State University Computer Science Senior Seminar
- All The Cool Kids, How Do They Fit In? at FAT* 2018
- Privacy for All at FAT* 2018
- Making Information Systems Good for People on Nov. 16, 2017 at Whitman College.
- Bad for IR, Worse for Recommenders: Missing Data and the External Validity of Offline Evaluations on Oct. 30, 2017 at the Dagstuhl Perspectives Workshop “Towards Cross-Domain Performance Modeling and Prediction: IR/RecSys/NLP”
- Recommending for People at UCL Mons (June 19), JADS (June 20), and RecSys NL at TU Delft (June 26)
- Responsible Recommendation at the Brussels Big Data and Ethics Meetup on 15 June at DigitYser
- Sturgeon and the Cool Kids at FLAIRS 2017
- Tools for Studying People and Info Systems at Boise State University's 2017 Research Computing Days
- Recommending for People (Nov. 20, 2016 at University at Albany)
- Introduction to Recommender Systems (Oct. 27, 2016)
- Behaviorism is Not Enough at ACM RecSys 2016
- Recommending for People (Boise State University, 16 Nov. 2015)
- Scaling Recommender Systems Research (RecSys '15 Workshop on Large Scale Recommender Systems)
- Levelling Up your Academic Career (RecSys 2015 Doctoral Symposium)
- Letting Users Choose Recommender Algorithms (RecSys 2015 technical program)
- Research presentation to Texas State CS graduate students, September 12, 2014
- RecSys 2014 presentation
- Thesis defense (July, 2014)
- Job talk — an overview of my research I presented at faculty job interviews in Spring 2014. The exact talk varied a bit from venue to venue, but the bulk of it stayed the same.
- The MovieLens Data Set (RecSys Challenge 2012)