Academics talk a lot. Sometimes we have slides, or even videos. Here are some of mine.
I am available to give my current research talk at academic seminars and similar events.
- Seminar at the HCI group at UT Austin iSchool on Mar. 24, 2023
- Equity and Discrimination in Information Access at the University of Washington on Jan. 27, 2023.
- The Complexity of Fairness in Information Access at the IBIS Workshop in Tsukuba, Japan on Nov. 20, 2022.
- Equity and Discrimination in Information Access at Waseda University on Nov. 19, 2022.
- Do You Want to Hunt a Kraken?, keynote talk at the EvalRS workshop at CIKM 2022.
- Matching Consumer Fairness Objectives & Strategies for RecSys at the FAccTRec 2022 workshop.
- You Might Also Think This Is Unfair at the University of Michigan.
- Information Systems for Human Flourishing at Vector Institute.
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Nov. 26 at the University of Texas School of Information.
- Online Recommendation: What? Where? Why? How? Oct. 4 at the Idaho Library Association 2019 Conference.
- Fairness and Discrimination in Recommendation and Retrieval, tutorial given Sep. 19 at RecSys 2019.
- Fairness and Discrimination in Recommendation and Retrieval, Aug. 22 IVADO Summer School on Recommender Systems.
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Aug. 20 at MSR Montreal
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Jul. 26 at Criteo AI Labs
- Fairness and Discrimination in Retrieval and Recommendation, tutorial at SIGIR 2019.
- Recommendations, Decisions, Feedback Loops, and Maybe Saving the Planet, at the CCC Visioning Workshop on Economics and Fairness.
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Dec. 7 at the Clemson School of Computing Seminar Series
- User, Agent, Subject, Spy Nov. 9 at the CMU HCII seminar series.
- User, Agent, Subject Spy Nov. 1 for Boise State AI Club.
- Exploring Author Gender in Book Rating and Recommendation at RecSys 2018.
- Making Information Systems Good for People at Boise State University Computer Science Senior Seminar
- All The Cool Kids, How Do They Fit In? at FAT* 2018
- Privacy for All at FAT* 2018
- Making Information Systems Good for People on Nov. 16, 2017 at Whitman College.
- Bad for IR, Worse for Recommenders: Missing Data and the External Validity of Offline Evaluations on Oct. 30, 2017 at Dagstuhl
- Recommending for People at UCL Mons (June 19), JADS (June 20), and RecSys NL at TU Delft (June 26)
- Responsible Recommendation at the Brussels Big Data and Ethics Meetup on 15 June at DigitYser
- Sturgeon and the Cool Kids at FLAIRS 2017
- Tools for Studying People and Info Systems at Boise State University's 2017 Research Computing Days
- Research presentation to Texas State CS graduate students, September 12, 2014
- RecSys 2014 presentation
- Thesis defense (July, 2014)
- Job talk — an overview of my research I presented at faculty job interviews in Spring 2014. The exact talk varied a bit from venue to venue, but the bulk of it stayed the same.
- The MovieLens Data Set (RecSys Challenge 2012)