- Ph.D (2014)
- Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
- B.S. (2007)
- Computer Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, Boise State University
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, Boise State University
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, Texas State University
- CS 230 (Ethical Issues in Computing)
- CS 533 (Introduction to Data Science)
- CS 538 (Recommender Systems)
- CS 410 / CS 510 (Databases)
- Recommender Systems specialization on Coursera
Author formatting key:, , .
2022. Measuring Fairness in Ranked Results: An Analytical and Empirical Comparison. In Proceedings of the 45th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR ’22). pp. 726–736. Cited 4 times. Cited 3 times.and .
2021. Exploring Author Gender in Book Rating and Recommendation. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction 31(3) (February 2021), 377–420. Cited 114* times.and .
2021. Estimation of Fair Ranking Metrics with Incomplete Judgments. In Proceedings of The Web Conference 2021 (TheWebConf 2021). ACM. Acceptance rate: 21%. Cited 20 times. Cited 21 times., , , , , and .
2020. Evaluating Stochastic Rankings with Expected Exposure. In Proceedings of the 29th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM ’20). ACM, pp. 275–284. Acceptance rate: 20%. Nominated for Best Long Paper. Cited 83 times. Cited 89 times., , , , and .
2020. LensKit for Python: Next-Generation Software for Recommender Systems Experiments. In Proceedings of the 29th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM ’20, Resource track). ACM, pp. 2999–3006. No acceptance rate reported. Cited 30 times. Cited 59* times..
2018. All The Cool Kids, How Do They Fit In?: Popularity and Demographic Biases in Recommender Evaluation and Effectiveness. In Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency (FAT* 2018). PMLR, Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 81:172–186. Acceptance rate: 24%. Cited 138 times. Cited 154 times., , , , , , and .
2018. Privacy for All: Ensuring Fair and Equitable Privacy Protections. In Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency (FAT* 2018). PMLR, Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 81:35–47. Acceptance rate: 24%. Cited 59 times. Cited 68 times., , and .
2016. Behaviorism is Not Enough: Better Recommendations through Listening to Users. In Proceedings of the Tenth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’16, Past, Present, and Future track). ACM. Acceptance rate: 36%. Cited 71 times. Cited 83 times.and .
2015. Letting Users Choose Recommender Algorithms: An Experimental Study. In Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’15). ACM. Acceptance rate: 21%. Cited 89 times. Cited 104 times., , , and .
2014. User Perception of Differences in Recommender Algorithms. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’14). ACM. Acceptance rate: 23%. Cited 152 times. Cited 210 times., , , and .
2015. Teaching Recommender Systems at Large Scale: Evaluation and Lessons Learned from a Hybrid MOOC. Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction 22(2) (April 2015). Cited 24 times. Cited 106* times., , , , and .
2011. Rethinking The Recommender Research Ecosystem: Reproducibility, Openness, and LensKit. In Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’11). ACM, pp. 133–140. Acceptance rate: 27% (20% for oral presentation, which this received). Cited 179 times. Cited 215 times., , , and .
2011. Searching for Software Learning Resources Using Application Context. In Proceedings of the 24th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST ’11). ACM, pp. 195–204. Acceptance rate: 25%. Cited 48 times. Cited 53 times., , , , and .
- 2018–2023: NSF award 1751278, $482,081: CAREER: User-Based Simulation Methods for Quantifying Sources of Error and Bias in Recommender Systems. Received $16K REU supplements in 2020 and 2021.
- 2017: $19K Boise State College of Education Civility Grant LITERATE: Locating Informational Texts for Engaging Readers And Teaching Equitably (co-PI; with PI Katherine Wright & co-PI Sole Pera)
- 2014: Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (competitive
Professional Service & Memberships
- Senior Member, Association for Computing Machinery
- Co-organizer, TREC 2019–2021 Track on Fairness in Information Retrieval
- ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (Program Co-chair 2022, General Co-chair 2018, Steering Committee & SPC member)
- Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (FAccT) (Executive Committee 2020–2022, Steering Committee 2017–present, Network Co-chair, PC 2017–present)
- Organizer, FATREC Workshop on Responsible Recommendation at RecSys 2017/2018/2020
- Senior PR member for RecSys & WWW; regular PC for SIGIR, FAccT, UMAP
- Reviewer for multiple journals, incl. TOIS, TWEB, TKDD, TIIS, TDSC, TKDE, PLOS ONE, and UMUAI