- Ph.D (2014)
- Computer Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
- B.S. (2007)
- Computer Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, Boise State University
- Co-director, People and Information Research Team (PIReT)
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, Texas State University
- CS 533 (Introduction to Data Science)
- CS 597 (Recommender Systems)
- CS 410 / CS 510 (Databases)
- Recommender Systems specialization on Coursera
Author formatting key:, , .
2021. Exploring Author Gender in Book Rating and Recommendation. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (February 2021). Cited 1 times.and .
2020. Evaluating Stochastic Rankings with Expected Exposure. In Proceedings of the 29th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM ’20). ACM, pp. 275–284. Acceptance rate: 20%. Nominated for Best Long Paper. Cited 9 times., , , , and .
2020. LensKit for Python: Next-Generation Software for Recommender Systems Experiments. In Proceedings of the 29th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM ’20, Resource track). ACM, pp. 2999–3006. No acceptance rate reported. Cited 9 times..
2020. Estimating Error and Bias in Offline Evaluation Results. Short paper in Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval (CHIIR ’20). ACM, 5 pp. Acceptance rate: 47%. Cited 1 times.and .
2018. All The Cool Kids, How Do They Fit In?: Popularity and Demographic Biases in Recommender Evaluation and Effectiveness. In Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency (FAT* 2018). PMLR, Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 81:172–186. Acceptance rate: 24%. Cited 34 times., , , , , , and .
2018. Privacy for All: Ensuring Fair and Equitable Privacy Protections. In Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Fairness, Accountability and Transparency (FAT* 2018). PMLR, Proceedings of Machine Learning Research 81:35–47. Acceptance rate: 24%. Cited 19 times., , and .
2016. Behaviorism is Not Enough: Better Recommendations through Listening to Users. In Proceedings of the Tenth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’16, Past, Present, and Future track). ACM. Acceptance rate: 36%. Cited 26 times.and .
2015. Letting Users Choose Recommender Algorithms: An Experimental Study. In Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’15). ACM. Acceptance rate: 21%. Cited 54 times., , , and .
2016. Dependency Injection with Static Analysis and Context-Aware Policy. Journal of Object Technology 15(1) (February 2016), 1:1–31. Cited 3 times.and .
2014. User Perception of Differences in Recommender Algorithms. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’14). ACM. Acceptance rate: 23%. Cited 83 times., , , and .
2015. Teaching Recommender Systems at Large Scale: Evaluation and Lessons Learned from a Hybrid MOOC. Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction 22(2) (April 2015). Cited 18 times., , , , and .
2011. Rethinking The Recommender Research Ecosystem: Reproducibility, Openness, and LensKit. In Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’11). ACM, pp. 133–140. Acceptance rate: 27% (20% for oral presentation, which this received). Cited 124 times., , , and .
2011. Searching for Software Learning Resources Using Application Context. In Proceedings of the 24th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST ’11). ACM, pp. 195–204. Acceptance rate: 25%. Cited 30 times., , , , and .
- 2018–2023: NSF award 1751278, $482,081: CAREER: User-Based Simulation Methods for Quantifying Sources of Error and Bias in Recommender Systems. Received $16K REU supplement in 2020.
- 2017: $19K Boise State College of Education Civility Grant LITERATE: Locating Informational Texts for Engaging Readers And Teaching Equitably (co-PI; with PI Katherine Wright & co-PI Sole Pera)
- 2014: Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (competitive
Professional Service & Memberships
- Senior Member, Association for Computing Machinery
- Co-organizer, TREC 2019–2021 Track on Fairness in Information Retrieval
- ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (General Co-chair 2018, Steering Committee & SPC member)
- Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (FAccT) (Executive Committee 2020–2022, Steering Committee 2017–present, Network Co-chair, PC 2017–present)
- Organizer, FATREC Workshop on Responsible Recommendation at RecSys 2017/2018/2020
- Senior PR member for RecSys & WWW; regular PC for SIGIR, FAccT, UMAP
- Reviewer for multiple journals, incl. TOIS, TWEB, TKDD, TIIS, TDSC, TKDE, PLOS ONE, and UMUAI