I made some chili. People generally liked it, and were interested in the recipe, so here it is.
The spices are pretty flexible.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or just some minced garlic)
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- Some chopped carrot
- Chili powder (lots of it)
- Dash of cayenne
- Some Mexican oregano
- Grains of Paradise
- Beans — more on this below
- 1 large but not industrial can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2–3 baby bella mushrooms, cut up
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Squirt of lime juice
- 1C vegetable stock
For beans, I usually use kidney, black, and either canellini (white kidney) or navy beans. Kidney beans are the bulk. You can add others at will. With this recipe, I use about 2 pounds of dry beans or 5–7 cans of beans in an 8qt crock pot.
Sauté garlic, onion, peppers, carrot, and spices in oil for about 5 minutes.
Put everything in a crock pot on high for about 4-5 hours. Stir from time to time. Check seasoning 30–60 minutes before serving.
Squirting in some siracha before eating is very tasty.