One of the great parts of my job is working with students on research and software development. This page collects information for and about those students.
If you are interested in doing research with me, there are two basic steps:
- Get a feel for the kinds of things I and my group do; you can do this by looking at my research projects, reading some of my papers, and/or taking one of my classes.
- Get in touch and tell me something about what you find interesting and the kinds of things you might like to do.
If you are curious about the kinds of skills you need or will learn in the course working on research with our group, see my student research skills list.
If you are e-mailing me about our graduate program, please see my e-mail guidance.
We are seeking applications for our M.S. in Computer Science and Ph.D in Computing programs from students who would like to work on HCI, recommender systems, and/or information retrieval projects with the People and Information Research Team (PIReT).
I am looking for current Boise State M.S. students seeking projects or thesis work and undergraduate students looking to get involved in research to join the People and Information Research Team (PIReT). We have a lot of work to do on the LensKit software; it's written in Java, so your intro courses will serve you well! If you've taken CS 221 (or its equivalent), we likely have things you can work on.
- Kiran Thapa (M.S.)
- Sushma Channamsetty: MS 2016 at TXST (thesis: Recommender Response to User Profile Diversity and Popularity Bias)
- Mohammed Imran R Kazi: MS 2016 at TXST (thesis: Exploring Potentially Discriminatory Biases in Book Recommendation)
- Vaibhav Mahant: MS 2016 at TXST (thesis: Improving Top-N Evaluation of Recommender Systems)
- Shuvabrata Saha: MS 2016 at TXST (co-advised with Dr. Apan Qasem) with the thesis A Multi-Objective Autotuning Framework For The Java Virtual Machine
Texas State University
As of 2016, I am no longer at Texas State University. Texas State students and prospective students:
- If you are interested in working with me specifically, apply to one of the graduate programs at Boise State University.
- If you are admitted or seeking admittance to Texas State University, and are interested in work like mine, Vangelis Metsis, Anne Ngu, Byron Gao, and Oleg Komogortsev are some of the faculty whose research interests and methods are closest to mine.